Re: gnome 0.12, Irix 6.3

Ok, I got it working!

I configured with $LD set to /usr/lib/old_ld.  But after that, I had
to hack several files (./libtool, ./guile-gtk/Makefile,
./guile-gtk/libtool, and ./gemvt/libtool) to not pass the "-n32"
arg to old_ld.  It doesn't understand (or, seemingly, want) that arg.

I also had to add <unistd.h> to gtt/app.c, for pid_t.

I had to take "gmix" and "gtop" out of programs/Makefile, since those
programs won't build on Irix.

So, after I did "make" and "make install", I was kind of at a loss.
There ought to be some "roadmap" or something to show me what's there,
or what got built or something...  I stumbled around and found "panel"
as a likely jumping-off point... cool!  Seems to work great!

Here are the results of the various files that got dumped into my
/usr/local/bin/...  Is there somewhere else I should be looking for
"the list of things that Gnome does"?

All of these seem to work fine:

  panel, notepad, samegnome, gnomine, keyboard-properties,
  mouse-properties, gnomeg, guile-gtk.

These mostly of work:

  find-file:
    works, but writes to stdout -- shouldn't it be writing into a window?

  network-utilities
    ping and traceroute work; hostname resolution doesn't:

    Invalid query type: A
    gtk: Wrong type argument in position 1: #<closed: pipe 0>

These die flaming death:

  htmltest
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

  GnomeScott
     6353:GnomeScott: rld: Warning: version search suppressed because object libgemvt.so in liblist has non-sgi interface version (0.0)
     6353:GnomeScott: rld: Fatal Error: cannot successfully map soname 'libgemvt.so' under any of the filenames /usr/local/lib/libgemvt.so:/usr/lib/libgemvt.so:/lib/libgemvt.so:/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgemvt.so:/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgemvt.so:

  freecell
     6360:freecell: rld: Warning: version search suppressed because object libgnome.so in liblist has non-sgi interface version (0.0)
     6360:freecell: rld: Fatal Error: cannot successfully map soname 'libgnome.so' under any of the filenames /usr/lib/libgnome.so:/lib/libgnome.so:/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgnome.so:/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgnome.so:

  gtt
    ** ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    ** ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Abort (core dumped)

  gulp
     6386:gulp: rld: Warning: version search suppressed because object libgemvt.so in liblist has non-sgi interface version (0.0)
     6386:gulp: rld: Fatal Error: cannot successfully map soname 'libgemvt.so' under any of the filenames /usr/local/lib/libgemvt.so:/usr/lib/libgemvt.so:/lib/libgemvt.so:/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgemvt.so:/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgemvt.so:

  gnome_linuxconf
    if this does anything, I don't know what it is

  phaser_chess
    objc runtime: cannot find class Gtk_App
    Abort (core dumped)

  cromagnon
    ** ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Abort (core dumped)

  gtalk
     6429:gtalk: rld: Warning: version search suppressed because object libgemvt.so in liblist has non-sgi interface version (0.0)
     6429:gtalk: rld: Fatal Error: cannot successfully map soname 'libgemvt.so' under any of the filenames /usr/local/lib/libgemvt.so:/usr/lib/libgemvt.so:/lib/libgemvt.so:/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgemvt.so:/usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/libgemvt.so:

  background-properties
    ** WARNING **: XShmAttach failed!
    ** ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
    Abort (core dumped)

Other comments/questions:

  * Surely there are man pages or info files somewhere?

  * Don't you find it really annoying that hitting RET in a text area
    doesn't automatically click on the "Ok" or "Run" button, or
    whatever?

  * I expected the footprint dingus to be a popup menu, but it's a
    stay-up menu instead.  That's kind of weird...

  * I saw mention of using a "Gnome-aware window manager."  What
    window manager is this?  Where do I get it?  What does it give me?

  * How do I embed random other programs in the panel?  Specifically,
    xload, xfaces, xdaliclock, and xpostit?

  * How would I go about making it use xscreensaver instead of
    xlockmore?  Where's the documentation for this kind of stuff?

--
Jamie Zawinski         http://people.netscape.com/jwz/      about:jwz