Re: Working on a simple page-layout app

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> This is somewhat related and somewhat not but....

Same here

> I was in the library the other day and saw an old Adobe book that introduced
> me to Display PostScript.  I immediately ran home and discovered that
> www.gnustep.org is down (and is still down...)  But I know they had someone
> (The person who codes ghostscript?) working on DPS.

The "berlin consortium" project had some nice links and resources for
fonts on their pages and apparently progress has been made on font
rendering etc in their graphics engine... www.berlin-consortium.org seems
to have gotten lost (but it's mirrored at least in one place so try a
webasearch) - even though it's been back on line for a while the site's
top page simply shows the apache intallation page - dunno where all the
pretty docs went (httpd.conf error?) ...

The lesstif group (www.hungry.com) started on a word-processing kind of
app that would write PostScript and HTML (or SGML) I believe, it accepts
"embedded" graphics, uses scalable fonts and was a half decent start at a
wordprocesser (it even uses scheme/guile for an extension language ;-)
Given that the ease of porting XmHTML seemed to suprise Miguel maybe some
of the code for XWord could help you get a start on things too.

Regards,

G. Todd