Re: Gnome Mailing List

Nathan Carl Summers <summersn@cs.byu.edu> writes:

> On 21 Jan 1998, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
>
> > Agreed.  Crippling `Reply-To' in that fashion is clearly the wrong
> > thing to do.  Also, such lists are broken, because they don't allow
> > easy distinction between a private and a public reply.
>
> I fail to see how it "cripples" or "breaks" anything.

It does so by destroying the original `Reply-To' header.  It also does
so by inserting its own bogus and unwanted `Reply-To' header.  And
finally, it does so by having the net effect of `r' not sending off
the reply to the intended recipient, but to the list.

> > To rationalize this lossage by saying that it "keeps the
> > discussion open by default" is lame, to put it kindly.
>
> It's not lame at all.  It's simply bad manners to take a relevant
> discussion on a public list and make it privately.

Private replies as bad manners at all.  In fact, in very crowded
lists, the more irrelevant discussions are handled privately rather
than publicly, the better will the list be.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia