Re: RPM and Corba/GNOME

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I read your mind.
>
> This is already implemented in the current file manager snapshot :-).

> > That way RPM can say that for all application/x-rpm/installed files,
> > mc should list 'Remove' on the menu, and for all application/x-rpm
> > files it should list 'Verify', 'Details', etc.

Does it allow you to specify the operations for a specific file type (i.e.
'application/x-rpm') and have those operations also listed for
application/x-rpm/installed and application/x-rpm/uninstalled files? This
would allow us, for example, to specify a 'Delete' operation for files of
the '' type, and then for all files the user could plug in their custom
trash can program there, or simply have it use /bin/rm -rf...

> Sure, that makes for quick jobs, but I still would like a full
> interface that provided all of the packaging features to the user
> (which does not really map into a limited action-popup menu).

Well, packages are objects and you perform operations on them, which fits
them into the file manager nicely.

The packaging >system< is an object as well, on which various operations
(i.e. rpm --rebuilddb, rpm -Va) can be done.  We can still have a
'Packaging system' item on the panel menu which fires up a menu listing
this, but I think the file manager can provide a standard UI to a lot of
different objects & tasks.

> Done as well :-).  check the mc.ext file for examples in your
> favorite Midnight Commadner setup.  la la la

/me sacrifices a rubber chicken to keep Miguel cranking out such excellent
innovations ;-)
-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.