Re: RPM and Corba/GNOME

> Now, others have brought up gnome-linuxconf.  That's cool. The idea of RPM
> in Linuxconf isn't so far out either.  But, will Linuxconf be CORBA'd?
> Should it be?

  If something had to be CORBA'd first it would be the programs that have to
be configured: they could expose some intefaces to change their resource files
so that a tool like Linuxconf could be relatively easily extended.

  But it raises security issues: CORBA is also for distributed computing, so
how do you make sure the programs using the interface are authorized to do so
when they are located on another host?

  Also, the interfaces should be somehow standardized because it could become
a mess. And if the interfaces are standardized (up to a point) there could be
a CORBA-compliant library to manage resource files. I believe such a library
exists, although it is not CORBA-compliant: eXdbm.

http://www.linux-france.com/pesch/exode/exdbm.html

--

Emmanuel Rousselle