RE: ANNOUNCE: Style Guide available for review.

>You mean like tooltips?  Maybe, hold it here for X seconds, the tooltip
>appears.  Click the tiny little "more info button" inside the tooltip
>and the few-line "what it is and how to use it" baloon appears in the
>tooltip's place.  I like it!

More or less. But I prefer that when you hold in place, "big" message
appears (in Windoze the messages are 10 words or less), and if you click
(for example in a ? at right side of the tooltip window), the help app is
launched.
Newbies will be found help fast.
Intermediate will know button fuctions fast, but without launching help.
Power will disable it.

The stupid thing is to have a tooltip that says "Zoom image. More info?"
when button says "Zoom" or has a lens icon.

The correct, IMO, should be:
Button: lens icon or "Zoom" text.
Tooltip: "Change the image visible size" or "Magnify image"
Help app: "Zoom: Zoom is a tool to... blah blah blah (some info paragraphs,
link to related things etc etc)"

>Number of files to keep is yet another "global" (but per-user)
>preference to put in th preferences database (along with keybindings,
>fonts, colors, dialog sizes, etc.)

Text messages too.
You can choose a language (Spanish English...) or even modify one. Languaje
X (true languaje) subset Y (personal phrases, slang).
No more "ok" "OK" "Ok" "Okay" problems.

Obviously, I think that config sets should be stored in a common place (to
save HD space, and so any user can have the same as others) or in home dir
(if you have a custom set of mesagges / theme graphics / keybindigns /
whatever that you want to keep for you alone, completly private).

Or is this idea really mad?

>BTW, as was already suggested (regardless of how many to save the user
>has configured), if there are not that many, empty entries should be
>left there so that the "Exit" item always has the same position.

Use a submenu then:

#File          Edit
#====###############################################
+====--------------+
|New               |
|Load...           |+------------+
|Load lasts used ->>>Foo1.txt    |
|Save              ||Bar36.doc   |
|Save as...        |+------------+
+------------------+
|Exit              |
+------------------+

That was my original idea.
Pros:
You keep File menu small.
You can have a really big submenu (it can ocupy all the screen, instead of
sharing space with other entries, cos is a submenu, not part of the original
menu).
Things become logical ordered "File->Load lasts->this_one.txt".

Cons:
You have to do one more mouse/key step to load previous files.

GSR