Re: "Official" gnome window manager

Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:

> Jim Pick writes:
>  > I don't agree with people who would use the Gnome project to advocate
>  > 'one true wm' for all users.  We'll never get everybody to agree and
>  > it will lead to endless bickering and politics.
>
> If we can't agree on a single wm to ship, then we can't agree on a
> single look and feel.

My point exactly.  We shouldn't be using Gnome to as a vehicle for
debating a 'single look and feel' (your words).  That will be a very
noisy, counter-productive affair.

But you are free to take the Gnome code, and mandate a 'single look
and feel' in the product you are putting together by shipping only one
window manager with it (or setting one as the default).

I don't see the point in using the Gnome project for this purpose -
determining a 'single look and feel' - because Gnome is going to be
used in several products (Debian, Red Hat) which don't have any
control over which window manager the user is going to select.

The Gnome project could decide and dictate that a certain wm is
preferred (as KDE has done) - but all the inevitable fighting over
which window manager GUI behaviour to adopt will be pointless, since
the products with which Gnome is bundled will let the user switch the
window manager anyways.

A Gnome window manager would only be 1 out of 15 or so in Debian.  The
battle to have a single window manager standard was lost when the X
consortium decided to allow multiple window managers.  Personally, I
think that's a good thing.

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature