Well then what is Gnome for?

Jim Pick writes:
 > I don't see the point in using the Gnome project for this purpose -
 > determining a 'single look and feel' - because Gnome is going to be
 > used in several products (Debian, Red Hat) which don't have any
 > control over which window manager the user is going to select.

Then what is Gnome for, if not to create a set of tools which operate
in a similar manner?

 > A Gnome window manager would only be 1 out of 15 or so in Debian.

I just DON'T understand this desire to have NO Gnome window manager.
You might just as reasonably argue that Gnome shouldn't have a clock,
or a terminal emulator, or text editor, just because people may have
used one before, and liked it.  Yes, people are going to come to Gnome
with preferences.  SO WHAT??  If they want the benefits that come from
a consistent UI, then they'll stick with the Gnome WM.  If they don't,
they'll stick with what they know.  Fine.  Let them.  But that's no
reason not to have a blessed "Gnome" wm.

 > battle to have a single window manager standard was lost when the X
 > consortium decided to allow multiple window managers.  Personally, I
 > think that's a good thing.

Right.  People can choose KDE, or Gnome, or the command line, or a
hodgepodge of X applications.  That doesn't mean that Gnome shouldn't
have a WM!

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson