Avoiding configuration files.

One of the things I'd really like to see for gnome is the ability to
work without configuration files.  In particular, I'd like to see
Xdefaults, xinitrc, xserverrc, and all those other files go away.  I'd
like to simply be able to type "gnome" and have it bring up a reasonable
environment (with no config files).

I think all we really need to do this is to

  1. modify xinit so it launches a window manager instead of xterm, and
  2. modify a window manager so it does something reasonable without
config files.

Any takers?

- Josh