Re: ANNOUNCE: Style Guide available for review.

On Fri, Feb 13, 1998 at 02:40:14AM -0600, Shawn T. Amundson wrote:
> This style guide is exactly the type of thing that turned
> me off of KDE the first time I read theirs.  Please allow
> me to explain.
>
>   "At least a single menubar should... "
>
> That is not correct.  A calculator may be an application which does
> not require a menubar.  Also, what about a app like gmix.  Or an
> even simpler volume changer?  What about a MIDI player tool like
> KDE has?  A menus should *not* necessarily be on these apps.

This bothers me too.  For instance, take a look at the traceroute
program I have written.  (http://www.mkimball.org/mtr.html).  In
particular, see the GTK+ screenshot.  Should mtr have a menubar?  It
seems unnecessary.

Perhaps a menubar should be required only when the application is
complex enough that it has more than a few operations available.

Matt Kimball
mkimball@xmission.com