Re: I think we should have a Gnome Window Manager (fwd)

Marcus Butler <marcusb@wspice.com> writes:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Chris Knight wrote:
>
> > If we go with one window manager, we have buried ourselves into the same
> > hole KDE and Windows put themselves into. Non-configurability. That's what
>
> KDE is not really in that hole; their WM is pretty configurable.  Windows
> is in far deeper holes (after several years of having a full-time team of
> developers they still cannot produce a stable product, for example.)
>
> > Windows is about. But, with Rasterman's theme supported Enlightenment, and
> > future Gtk versions supporting themes, then every user may configure his
> > desktop to look like what they *want* it to. Very Unixy, very UnWindows95y.
>
> Rasterman's default theme is a three megabyte tar file.  We need something
> with a smaller footprint.

Enlightenment is great, but most of the themes are a little too, well,
they appeal to a smallish audience.  DREAMWORKS and a few other I
happen to think are quite incredible, but what's really needed is
something like a GNOME theme.  Simple, small, and following the style
of the gtk/gnome web site, etc.

But I bet someone is already working on this, right?

--

Steve Farrell