Re: I think we should have a Gnome Window Manager

Marcus Butler <marcusb@wspice.com> writes:

>  That sounds good.  Let me clarify my position regarding
>  Enlightenment: I > don't dislike the window manager, I dislike the
>  size of its default > themes. The themes idea is great (MacOS looks
>  better with the Aron (sp?)  > extension.) I do think we should
>  provide some kind of useable default.  I > think new users will
>  appreciate it.

How about offering three default themes: One would be very windowish,
to make the newcomers from windows happy. Second would be fast&slick,
somewhere along NeXT/Windowmaker look, going after UNIX users who
prefer speed over look. And third would be pixmap-heavy, E-style
default, for UNIX people with fast machines who like eye-candy (I'm
one!)

Then just offer it at install time, and make sure that user
understands the choice involved. I guess RedHat distrib would do well
to offer it during install, too, along with explanations (the way it
currently offers fvwm, fvwm-95, and afterstep).

--
I refuse to use .sig