Re: InSight IML Content Description (PLEASE READ)

In regards to your letter,

> There are 2 choices - 1 you pre-process all the 24-bit data on load to
> do a RGB-HSV, re-map in HSV space, then HSV-RGB again on each Image at
> load (the re-map in HSV space being determined by the user as a maping
> table (eg all "reds" become green. all "blues" become orange etc.) Or
> the bacxkgrounds are done in "greyscale" - or mainly - and Imlib's
> currentl RGB corrction facility will be able to modify this on the fly.
> You have mapping tables per RGB channel so hue can be changed easily
> via these.

Easy is the operative word here, I agree. Although I dont know how to
code it, I know that performing hue-shifts of reigons of data as small as
the one's we're dealing with can be done in realtime with little effort.
That was the whole crux of color-reactiveness in InSight's (proposed)
desktop.. That we -would- have that computational horsepower available to
us to perform a dozen hue shifts on a dozen tiles in realtime.

> Remember - just because it's in the GIMP does not mean it's practical
> for a GUI in general.. some things GIMP does are great for art - but
> fairly expensive computationally - and not he thing you want to do on a
> regular basis.

Agreed. Although hueshifts would have been performed in realtime, the
set of numbers (hue/sat/lightness) of the icon had the ability to be
cached for future application. Those of you who are familliar with
AmigaDOS's desktop, the "Snapshot" feature does something similar to this.
Exept AmigaDOS' "Snapshot" menu option cached out the current positions
of icons on the desktop (or within a drawer, if selected).

Bowie J. Poag
ex-InSight