RE: ANNOUNCE: Style Guide available for review.

More comments, heheheh ;]

>(Can we force window managers to provide a [?] button for use with short
>"what is this?" popup descriptions?  If so, all controls shall respond
>to the "what is this" message.)

One more button?
Why not just the Ballon Help (correct name?)? You moves the mouse over a
button and after x secs (user config definable) a short message appears.
Novices will explore using less time, and experts can disable it.
Perfect for all, is not it?
After all, widgets must be aware of the click or the moveover, and have the
info.

>"All dialogs should default to a set minimum size."
>replace with
>"All dialogs should be resizable, defaulting to a minimal size, but
>saving the size set by the user, even across sessions."  (I HATE dialogs
>with tiny listboxes when I have a 21" monitor at very high resolution.
>Let me use my ample screen space to make the application easier to use!)

Hope to still keep the X info on resizing/moving. I like to resize and move,
but when I now how much/where (I love it from the first time I saw a Sun)
(Windoze sucks at this).
Yes, I am maniac (and mix maniacs with eye problems, and you have a stronger
reason).

>"Applicatins should not allow users to change the default bindings for
>common operations."
>I *strongly* disagree!  See my posting on the key binding standard.

Hey, I disagree too. Keybindings should be user definable.
Maybe a common database for keybindings, so all apps that cut/paste/copy
have the same keys. Open, close, save, save as, close all, quit, help, undo,
redo...

>"All operations that have a deterministic time to completion that lasts
>more than three seconds should indicate progress using a progress bar."
>Should this be configurable (system-wide, per user) instead of
>arbitrarily three seconds?  (I don't like to see progress bars unless
>the operation takes more like ten seconds.)

Not all people has the same computer. Some found normal to wait 10 secs,
others 5. User definable (like keybindings).

>nitpicking:
>be careful of use of "should" and "must" -- I saw some "shoulds" that
>should be "musts."

KDE pages have some references to should must (and other words) meanings.
I think they took them from a RFC.

>IHTH

What?

More messages (do you think I like "mix" too much? ;] ):

>> No.  The number of menu items should not change.  If you want to show
>> the last four documents, then there should always be four items for
>> "last" documents, and if there is not sufficient history, then they
>> should be greyed out.
>agree;  alternatively, put a History item on the file menu that leads to
>a cascade menu of the file history (of user-configurable length!)

Number of items should be user configurable, and a submenu will be cool. You
can have 10 docs, but not need to see the list when you only are going to
"save", "open" or anything in file menu except "load from history" "last
loaded docs".

GSR