Re: InSight IML Content Description (PLEASE READ)

On 12 Feb, Miroslav Silovic shouted:
->
->  <followup goes to both the list and to Bowie>
->
->  I don't speak for GNOME project, so feel free not to answer - I'm just
->  VERY curious. Not to mention 'drool' effect... :)
->
->  Icons are VERY impressive. As for colorization, hmm, I can see several
->  spots where it could go: filemanager could colorize by file size, age
->  or last read time (I guess it could be customizable). Running programs
->  could be colorized by CPU, memory or IO usage. Hmm. Plenty of choices
->  there - and I haven't seen any desktop system do it, although it's
->  fairly obvious (?) way to output critical numerical parameters.
->
->  As for the implementation, imlib could be hacked to convert between RGB
->  and HSV representation, then color shift is just a change in the hue.
->  There's plenty of RGB<>HSV code in GIMP...

There are 2 choices - 1 you pre-process all the 24-bit data on load to
do a RGB-HSV, re-map in HSV space, then HSV-RGB again on each Image at
load (the re-map in HSV space being determined by the user as a maping
table (eg all "reds" become green. all "blues" become orange etc.) Or
the bacxkgrounds are done in "greyscale" - or mainly - and Imlib's
currentl RGB corrction facility will be able to modify this on the fly.
You have mapping tables per RGB channel so hue can be changed easily
via these.

Remember - just because it's in the GIMP does not mean it's practical
for a GUI in general.. some things GIMP does are great for art - but
fairly expensive computationally - and not he thing you want to do on a
regular basis.

->  A couple of questions: What were tacks meant to do? (GNOME will be
->  used by experienced people too...) Would it be possible to separate
->  icons from their backgrounds (as imlib can handle transparency)? (that
->  way there'd be more themes for free, just change the background)
->  Finally, you mention source/docs part of the InSight project - what's
->  in there?
->

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------