RE: Menu UI issues

Paul Hepworth writes:
 > Hogwash!  You get familiar with what should be on the context menu!
 > (I'm NOT condoning removing vs. graying.)

Testing is the way to resolve this one.

 > Regarding pie menus, these sound great!  (assuming I don't have to run
 > through a bunch of obnoxious and inconvenient cascades to get to what I
 > really want, that is.)  (Not to mention that cascaded pie menus would be
 > a problem in the first place.)

Not really.  When I want to telnet to a certain customer's computer, I
press on the root window, move left, release, press, move straight
down, release.

 > Years ago, I was going to develop a CAD program, and in it, snap modes
 > and such things were selected from a popup "button grid" of 9*9 square
 > buttons with the middle square missing -- you guessed it, the mouse
 > pointer was in the middle square.  Same concept as a pie menu.

Hehe.  Sounds like, only pie menus extend out to infinity, and are
equally spaced around the circle.

 > Would pie menus have rotated text?

No, more like this, and even, about this size too.

                              Raise
                          Icon    Refresh
                        Move        Resize
                          Zoom    More
                              Lower

Because the areas extend out beyond the item name, there's no need to
put the menu items very far from the center.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson