RE: Menu UI issues

One more menu issue:

Please include conditional cascade menus!
(If you don't know what these are, they are a menu feature borrowed from
OS/2 wherein the cascade menu has a default action and an optional
submenu, indicated by a button on the right side of the menu with an
arrow in it.  Selecting the menu item normally takes the usual action,
clicking the arrow button or pressing the right arrow key pops up the
cascade menu.)  Ascii art follows:

 ---------------------------------------
| Normal menu item                      |
| Cascade menu (always pops up)     ->  |
| Normal menu item 2               ____ |
| Conditional cascade             | -> ||
| Normal menu item 3               ---- |

This picture bites; please see OS/2 or DFM for a real example.
This type of menu is great for when there are options, but there is a
default action.  A good example is the "Open" menu item on an icon's
popup menu:  clicking open runs the default program/view but alternate
programs are available Open's conditional cascade menu.  Thus, I can
open a text file with vi by default, but emacs, fte, joe, and GnomeWP
are all available on the conditional cascade.

Paul