Re: gtt suggestions

> A couple of gtt suggestions:
>
> 1) gtt could work with CORBA to track the window focus.  If the focus
> is on my INBOX or "reply to" windows, it's a pretty good bet that I'm
> reading my email.

I was planning to add CORBA to gtt, but that will have to wait, till we
have a working CORBA implementation. AFAIK CORBA is currently being worked
on.

> 2) When I'm entering a new project, it'd be nice if return accepted my
> input.  Maybe this should be in the Gnome GUI guidelines?  A dialog
> box with only one line of input should accept Enter as "ok", and
> Escape as "Cancel".

Hmm, yes, I was testing a bit with accelerators and default buttons in
that dialog, when I started gtt (which now seems years away - even if it's
just two month ago :) ). I wasn't very successful then. Maybe I should do
it know that I understand more of Gtk.

> 3) gtt *really* ought to be keeping a log file to which it appends
> EVERY change of project.  It shouldn't buffer the output, but instead
> flush it to disk.  What if I was using it for billing, and it lost a
> whole day's tracking just because my machine crashed?!?  That would
> ... be ... very ... bad.

Hmm, a Unix system that crashes??? :) -- I have put some effort in
capturing most of the problems (wm crashes, SIGTERMs, etc.) and gtt has
lost data only once since I started it. But I could flush the log after
the log file timeout has occurred. Maybe I should add an autosave
functions for the config, too.

> 4) Are we giving up on the idea of ``man'' pages?  Cuz ``man gtt''
> gets me nothing.  If man isn't going to be the canonical way to get
> documentation, we need a replacement for it.  IMHO, the best thing
> Gnome could do for the world is to create a program which can search
> through ALL the documentation on the machine, whether .*\.man, .*\.txt,
> .*\.html, .*\.info, or [A-Z]+.

I was thinking about a man page for gtt. But are man pages really the way
to go in a GUI? You can always run gtt and look through the help system.
Or did you ever run man on emacs? It has a fine info document, so why
bothering with the man page?

On the other hand, when there are people trying to fetch a man page for
gtt, I should add one just for completeness. (But I still think the correct
way to search for help on a Gnome program is to look through the Gnome
help system :) ).

Eckehard Berns