Re: question about panel info in status report

> Regarding the panel, I have a comment and a question.
>
> Comment:  I agree that it is unnecessary to have applets in addition to
> "swallowed" windows from separate processes.  Best not to muddy the
> panel's water.
>
> Question:  the comment about "always running the panel on startup" makes
> me a bit curious.
> For example, I like to use icewm, which includes a windows-like task
> bar.  I see no reason to also run a panel.  I can use the task bar to
> start programs, show tasks, show mail, etc.  What does the panel do that
> I'd need?  If I do need it, can the panel be made to look and behave
> similarly to the icewm taskbar?

the panel program right now consists of a panel :) ... but when it's
finished it should be possible to have say a floating panel, or one
that's just like a side drawer (I haven't figured out exactly how those
would work but I'm working on it and you can run a taskbar (which I
don't know if it should be in the panel code or a separate thing) ... or
you could still use icewm's taskbar and have a hidden panel that you can
pop up to see the menus or launch apps and stuff like that ...

though all this is still some way off :) so don't hold your breath ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
While some may have the year 2000  | $ emacs
problem, my 64-bit alpha's got the | bash: emacs: command not found
year 292471208677 problem          | YES!!