RE: question about panel info in status report

Regarding the panel, I have a comment and a question.

Comment:  I agree that it is unnecessary to have applets in addition to
"swallowed" windows from separate processes.  Best not to muddy the
panel's water.

Question:  the comment about "always running the panel on startup" makes
me a bit curious.
For example, I like to use icewm, which includes a windows-like task
bar.  I see no reason to also run a panel.  I can use the task bar to
start programs, show tasks, show mail, etc.  What does the panel do that
I'd need?  If I do need it, can the panel be made to look and behave
similarly to the icewm taskbar?

Thanks.

Paul