Re: Is DPS a first-level component of GNOME?

On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 06:55:13PM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:
> > 	* Guile
>
> Oooh.  Don't get me wrong, I like guile.  But it still takes 5 seconds
> or more to initialize on my 386.  I don't think we want to be
> including that in any base level library so that every app needs it.

This has me confused, actually.  If every app is already exporting its
interesting bits via CORBA, isn't having it do guile too simply
providing two ways to do the same thing?

Presumably there'll be corba bindings or stubs or whatever they're
called for guile, and people who like brackets[*] can have one copy of
the guile interpreter living on the system and talking to everything
as appropriate.

(I'm thinking of guile as doing something like ARexx did on the Amiga
-- is this the intention?)

> Again, in the ideal world, I hope to see a base Gnome environment
> which is useable on my 8mb 386/33Mhz box.  (I'm willing to stick to
> lightweight apps and cope with a bit of swapping when I switch from
> one app to another)

This would make me extremely happy.  I have a 486 with about the same
lack of ram that I want to be able to use too ...

[*] Yes, I _know_ it's not "like brackets" so much as "cease to pay
attention to the brackets and grow to depend on the auto-indent".
Allow me a little licence, please.

-dan