Re: Is DPS a first-level component of GNOME?

Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis@mindspring.net> writes:

> Right now I see the three first-level components of GNOME as being:

Depends what you mean by "first-level", I guess.  I'll assume you mean
something that is required and you can expect it to be loaded into
memory when you are running the Gnome environment.

> 	* CORBA
> 	* GTK

Sure, they are fairly lightweight, I think.  You might as well add
libgnome and libgnomeui to that list.

> 	* Guile

Oooh.  Don't get me wrong, I like guile.  But it still takes 5 seconds
or more to initialize on my 386.  I don't think we want to be
including that in any base level library so that every app needs it.

There's also the issue of language independence.  I think some people
may prefer to use Perl as their scripting language (or Python, Tcl,
etc)

* DGS (Display Ghostscript)

I don't know much about it - but I imagine it will be a library used
by just a few applications, not all of them.  I gather DPS is a set of
graphics primitives are more complex than xlib calls, but isn't a
widget set.  I don't think that's necessary for the Gnome hello
program, for example.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

* GSM (Gnome Session Manager, now just called Gnome, unfortunately)
* Corba daemons (Basic Object Adapter daemon, Interface Repository
                  daemon, naming daemon)

These can probably all be wrapped up into a single daemon, I think.
It would be nice if the Gnome apps would still be able to run even if
this daemon was not running.

* CORBA Services

These would be launched on demand by the BOA.  Some services would be
like libraries, and some would be Gnome applications.  We'll probably
have some 'core' services that are used by most Gnome apps.  We'll
probably have lots of other more specialized services that are used
only by the more heavyweight apps.

Again, in the ideal world, I hope to see a base Gnome environment
which is useable on my 8mb 386/33Mhz box.  (I'm willing to stick to
lightweight apps and cope with a bit of swapping when I switch from
one app to another)

When we get more into this - I'm game to do some benchmarking.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature