Re: Is DPS a first-level component of GNOME?

Daniel Barlow <dan@telent.net> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 1998 at 06:55:13PM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:
> > > 	* Guile
> >
> > Oooh.  Don't get me wrong, I like guile.  But it still takes 5 seconds
> > or more to initialize on my 386.  I don't think we want to be
> > including that in any base level library so that every app needs it.
>
> This has me confused, actually.  If every app is already exporting its
> interesting bits via CORBA, isn't having it do guile too simply
> providing two ways to do the same thing?

I think so.  If we had good CORBA bindings for Guile, then binding Guile
directly into apps (if they support CORBA) isn't necessary.  There are
probably a multiple of reasons why somebody might want to support
both ways of doing it though - I don't know.

> > Again, in the ideal world, I hope to see a base Gnome environment
> > which is useable on my 8mb 386/33Mhz box.  (I'm willing to stick to
> > lightweight apps and cope with a bit of swapping when I switch from
> > one app to another)
>
> This would make me extremely happy.  I have a 486 with about the same
> lack of ram that I want to be able to use too ...

I just found a cool use for my 386 - it's just to the left of my main
workstation, so I installed the Debian x2x package, and I can now
slide my mouse off the left side of the screen on my workstation - and
it appears on the 386.  It's great, I can just park the display output
of some apps over there (like gmemusage, xosview) just like I had a
multi-head X display.  The keyboard output doesn't map correctly for
some reason though.

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature