Re: UI Rantings [was: Re: gmc and file-selection mockups]

Bo Rosen wrote:

> On 27-Dec-98 Jesse D. Sightler wrote:
> > Remember here, though, that the problem is that what if after doing all of
> > my file-management related things I decide I didn't really want a doc opened
> > to begin with.  :)  Then I'm gonna really wish I had a "cancel only my last
> > action button".  In other words, cancel really is inconvenient in these
> > circumstances (er, cancel the print job, too?).
>
> Sorry for butting in on things I don't understand a word of, I'm no programmer.
>
> Couldn't a cancel button work a bit like netscape navigator's back button. One
> click cancels and holding it down gives you a list of actions that can be
> cancelled. Picking on, would also pick all those above it, if the list began
> with the most recent action
>
> Back to lurk mode
>
> Bo

Then you have to implement history lists, and what what if the user in
question has done 10 things in the dialog. Should this back button give
you a list of all 100 possible permutations? Or does it have to open
another dialog, like the Photoshop History palette? This is a collosal
mess to get into, IMO. Combined with the fact that his desire to Print
from an Open Dialog being the sole reason for this makes it not worth
implementing, IMO.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals