autogen.sh Error!? autoheader: Symbol `WITH_SYMBOL_UNDERSCORE' is not covered by ...

Two problems:

1) Can someone clue me in on how to get rid of this error?

Now type `make' to compile Gnome Core Utilities
grk@csdslip3$ make
cd . && autoheader
/opt/bin/autoheader: Symbol `WITH_SYMBOL_UNDERSCORE' is not covered by
/opt/depot/auto/share/autoconf/acconfig.h ./acconfig.h
make: *** [stamp-h.in] Error 1
grk@csdslip3$ make -i
... to continue

2) Also, what gives about config.h.in

Who is supposed to create this file?  For me, I end up having to create
it by hand using

autoheader configure.in > config.h.in

as ./autogen.sh does NOT create it.  Is this related to above problem?

FWIW I am using the latest and greatest autoconf, etc - even
gettext-0.10.35 (so I'm not totally stupid...)

glenn
grk@arlut.utexas.edu