Re: GNOME needs VA's help?

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Michael Mathers wrote:

> >Compilation problems _usually_ result from incorrect versions of
> >prerequisites, or other environmental conditions, NOT from the tree itself
> >being broken.
> >
> >GNOME will be stable when it runs stably, not when it compiles stably. We
> >need people to do testing, create test procedures, and write test programs
> >:) Anyone have suggestions?
>
> Dude..  Proper compilation is usually a requisite for proper running,
> don't you think?  People can't catch bugs with the new code if they
> can't run the code in the first place.  As long as the compiles keep
> getting broken we will be limiting the depth of the bugs that can be
> found and the number of people to find them.

Yes, but people aren't supposed to commit non-compilable code at all
(unless it's something adding a new source file that isn't part of the
build yet). The right place to fix this problem is to whack the people who
commit it, not to compile it :)

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg