Re: Bug reports for 0.99 RPMs

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 11:35:08AM -0500, raster@redhat.com wrote:
> ->  Panel:
> ->
> ->  - Sliding the panel is slow (using the RPM version of enlightenment as
> ->  my wm)
>
> thats because the panel is a normal WM client - thus when it slides it
> involves not just a trip to the Xserver but a trip to X, then a trip
> for X to the WM then a trip form the WM back to X - then back to the
> client again to get its synthetic configurenotify event. basically the
> problme is: the panle does nto slide at X pixels per second, but at X
> pixels per step - thus a slow machine will slide it slowly, a fast
> machine will do it quickly. The "optimal" solution is for the panel to
> time the time between moves and adjust its distance to "slide" each
> iteration according to how long the last one took.

I consider it a bug ... so a patch is very welcome ... I don't consider
it a huge bug since you can adjust the speed manually

actually I think somebody with more X experience then me should go take
a look at the sliding mess and see how to do it cleanly ... in some future
version of panel I need to be able to put the borders of the screen not
to be the physical borders so so both the side sliding and autohiding of
side and corner panels needs to be done more like the drawers ...

one idea that I got was taking a "snapshot" of the panel as a pixmap,
creating a new window with that pixmap as the background on top of the
panel (a window that is override redirect) ... and then hide the panel
and do animation on the override redirect window ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: