Re: [gnome-list-request gnome org: Re: CVS debacle]

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Michael Robinson wrote:

> "Geoff Harrison \(mandrake\)" <mandrake@mandrake.net> writes:
> >there's going to be bugs in cvs, pretty much by default.  you use the
> >up-to-the-hour code and it's likely it won't always even build - there are bits
> >that aren't as often worked on that a lot of folks won't think about testing
> >before they commit stuff.
>
> I've heard that some projects actually maintain a regression test suite to
> prevent exactly this problem.  And when people introduce new features, they
> are expected to contribute appropriate tests to the suite.
>
> I know that lacks some of the glamour and excitement of tracking down bugs
> after they've been committed to the tree, but it's something to think about,
> anyway.

See http://www.mozilla.org/tinderbox.html for a free software project
that does just that.

I don't think development on Mozilla is any less "fun" as a result of
this.  And I don't see people leaving that project in droves.  Their tree
is a hell of a lot more stable than ours, too (judging by all that green
that I see on
http://cvs-mirror.mozilla.org/webtools/tinderbox/showbuilds.cgi?tree=raptor).

my $0.02
shane