Re: gnome

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 02:32:32PM -0500, Manish Vachharajani wrote:
> > I doubt it's bad from an academic point of view ... the vfs is too app
> > specific ... what it allows you to do is to go to a tar archive without
> > mounting it ... same with ftp .... ftp and tar SHOULD NOT be in the
> > kernel ... if one wants kernel support one uses nfs or coda or whatnot
> > ... however .. remember that if the kernel supports it .. only root
> > can mount any fs ... however any user can use a userlevel vfs ...
>
> Well, not if linux had process specific mount's :)  I was thinking about
> implementing this a while back, then the inode code got rewritten and so I
> decided to forget about it.  There are issues with this of course, but I
> think it can be done without breaking UNIX semantics or violating
> security.

unless you have some reason for very high performance ... this can
be done more flexibly in the libc or an extra lib such as the vfs ...
I definately don't want my kernel to include all the archivers and a bunch
of client programs such as ftp (or say even http) ... I think this is
better served below the kernel anyway (not to mention you get portability
as well)

if an fs is run as a user process under a userid .. it's far far far more
secure then a kernel module ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: