Re: gnome

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, George wrote:

> I doubt it's bad from an academic point of view ... the vfs is too app
> specific ... what it allows you to do is to go to a tar archive without
> mounting it ... same with ftp .... ftp and tar SHOULD NOT be in the
> kernel ... if one wants kernel support one uses nfs or coda or whatnot
> ... however .. remember that if the kernel supports it .. only root
> can mount any fs ... however any user can use a userlevel vfs ...

Well, not if linux had process specific mount's :)  I was thinking about
implementing this a while back, then the inode code got rewritten and so I
decided to forget about it.  There are issues with this of course, but I
think it can be done without breaking UNIX semantics or violating
security.

> software ... I just spent the last 6-8 hours working with windows ... and
> I can say that gnome is already far far ahead in the usability department,
> or it could be just me expecting too much of windows I guess)

Actually for a total computer newbie windows is much easier to use.  And
the help is much better too.  The problem arises after 30 days of use when
a reasonably interested person knows what they are doing and wants to do
something slightly more complicated than copy a file(such as remove
deleted files from the recently used doc list).  Then windows help sucks,
and you have to trawl through directories to accomplish the task.  So I
think you are expecting too much :)  Gnome will hoepfully make things easy
to use for a total newbie, and yet still let a knowledgable user to do
more intricate things(Things are looking good so far).

Manish Vachharajani               Some Haiku: A crash reduces
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>                   your expensive computer
                                              to a simple stone - Unknown