Re: tcd and/or gtcd: Strange behavior???

On Tue, Nov 24, 1998 at 10:10:46PM +0200, Pavel Pavlov wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
>
> > I had the same problem. When I would load it with a audio cd already in the
> > drive it would work.
> > If I put the cd in after it was loaded it wouldn't.
> >
> [more]
>
> Sorry, this is due to my patch to make (g)tcd reread the track info after
> disk change. (Which seems is harder to detect!)
>
> Is this only happens with SCSI? (I have ATAPI one)

I recently upgraded from ATAPI to SCSI, and now I have the same problem (on an
otherwise unchanged system).  So very probably this has something to do with
SCSI.  Also, I'm using Linux 2.1.129, if this is of any help.

> Now, if you eject it
> with (g)tcd and put audio-CD and push Play without closing it, what
> happens? This is basically how I try to detect disk change.

Sorry, can't check that for you.  This is quite difficult to do with a slot-in
drive:-)

Basically gtcd doesn't find a new CD until I click play, then it displays the
new cddb info and the CD starts playing.  The kernel SCSI-CD driver (not VFS!)
also reports changes on sr0 only after I start playing.  VFS is quiet about
that, *but* VFS reports disk changes on tcd restart.

So probably tcd does in its initialization something required for the VFS to
detect disk changes (like opening the device?).  This could even be a kernel
bug.

--
Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/

PGP 1024bit ID:0x886663c9 fingerprint: 30EC0973847B5583 C47A91D99DC54BB0
    2048bit ID:0xF62D5CC1 fingerprint: 136BBC1536B8B77A 200558E86FAAF8ED