Re: tcd and/or gtcd: Strange behavior???

In message <19981202184737.A10820@storm.local>, Andreas Bombe writes:
+-----
| So probably tcd does in its initialization something required for the VFS to
| detect disk changes (like opening the device?).  This could even be a kernel
| bug.
+--->8

Opening the device.  xmcd appears to detect disk changes by locking the device
so only it can perform an eject, closing the device before ejecting, and
attempting to reopen until it succeeds.

I don't think the kernel can cope with a disk change while the device is open,
mainly because of the fact that it's a block device (on e.g. Solaris you'd
open the character device for the CDROM).

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu