Re: gnome: libraries other than GTK+

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Thimble Smith wrote:

> I guess I'm wondering, would it be possible to separate the
> GTK-specific stuff from the Gnome libraries, to make it easier
> to build the Gnome libraries with any (supported) toolkit?  Or

Hrm:-\

I don't want to say too much about this, but I recently read a report
(Computer Technology Review, I think) which had a small blurb about there
being 16 different types of Unix (existing? active? maintained?) today,
and that there's only one NT, and that this somehow made NT the "winner".
This blurb was maybe 3-4 sentences so it was hardly a discussion, but they
have a valid point in that a lot of people (especially vendors, think LSB)
don't really want a myriad of choices, nor necessarily do consumers.
(Programmers, on the other hand, tend to be a different beast, so language
bindings are a must.)  It might be good, at least in the official Gnome,
to limit toolsets.  GTK is the default, of course, and maybe LessTif, but
I really wouldn't make a huge effort to try to support more than that.

Christopher, in search of a new .sig