Re: Newbie Questions - Applets, Menus, Panels... Oh My!

Chris J. Karr <br284@geocities.com> schrieb:

> 1. The applet technology is not working for me. When I try to start an
> applet, I get a message stating:
> Could not communicate with the panel

There was a bug in the panel which caused the applets not to work at
all. IIRC this was fixes just a few days ago. Possibly you have a
version which is just a bit too old ;-(.

> At the moment, I am running solely the panel. Is it required that other
> Gnome environment programs run?

Not programs actually, but ORBit needs to be installed.

> 2. On a side note -- How do I "properly" start Gnome. I have read that
> gnome-session is not completely stable. What is the procedure to start
> so that I get the maximum benefit from Gnome and my windowmanager
> (Enlightenment).

I do know nothing about Redhat (thats what you are running?) but in
general just have to pick the file, where the windowmanager ist
started (~/.xinitrc ?) and put in the "gnome-session" command right
after this line while adding a " &" after the wm-call. This works for
me on an Debian 2.0-system with windowmaker.

gnome-session works quite right here.

--
 Hendrik Seffler · hendrik@xion.owl.de · http://home.pages.de/~seffler/