Re: gnome: libraries other than GTK+

:
:     Thimble> Hello, all.  I'm thrilled by the gnome project and by the
:     Thimble> success that gtk+ is having.  I'm curious, though, about
:     Thimble> how tightly bound gnome is to gtk.  Is it possible to
:     Thimble> write programs which will integrate fully into gnome
:     Thimble> using other toolkits (e.g.,
:     Thimble> http://www.iuk.tu-harburg.de/fresco/)?  If so, what extra
:     Thimble> code is needed to make that happen?
:
: In principle yes, but you would have to port all of the GNOME
: libraries to fresco so as to get the consistent dialogs and other
: stuff.

You could do what TkStep does and have your toolkit reimplement the
target API. (TkStep mimics Tk.) Then it's just a matter of moving the
.so's. I don't care for the look of TkStep but I think it's a neat
idea, applicable in more areas than just widgets.

Of course now that Gtk has themes you can create any look. Your only
motivation could be that you don't _want_ to use the Gtk API...