Re: GNOME 0.2x - Let's fix it and then forget it

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Kenneth Christiansen wrote:

> To: GNOME Malinglist <gnome-list@gnome.org>
> Subject: Re: GNOME 0.2x - Let's fix it and then forget it
> From: Kenneth Christiansen <kenth@writeme.com>
>

> IMHO fix the new version. Ppl. don't want to be running 0.20, when they
> know about 0.27/0.28, and do it quick. Next time release alpha versions.
> Remember we are also missing gnome-graphics (or ee and ghost-gnome) rpm file(s)

Well, if someone could perhaps try out the

	ftp://ftp.home-of-linux.org/pub/gnome-core-0.28.tar.gz

It is working for me - and the only thing I changed was the hostname of
my own machine (to something that is resolved to 127.0.0.1).

This may sound curious, but all the applets suddenly worked after I did
this and also I never got any error with this tarball on FreeBSD.

Just can't believe that it really was only my /etc/hosts that was wrong.

Almost certainly other people have other problems with this tarball or
one of the binary RPMS, but it would be nice to know which to be able to
fix them.

Or is my tarball really working ?

Martin

> Daleak
>
> By the way, if you fix this version, you can include it with the next Raw Hide
> release...that would be nice.
>
> >My original understand was that the 0.25 was going to be a quiet release.
> >It turned into a huge slashdot failure. I think now that everyone
> >is wanting to run something GNOME'ish we either have to fix the 0.25+ stuff
> >that everyone is grabbing now, OR revert back to the GNOME 0.20/gtk-1.0.x
> >release as the 'public release'. If we do the later, rename the 0.25+ stuff
> >as GNOME 0.29ALPHA and put it in a seperate place on the ftp site, so
> >that people will have no excuse to think its for general consumption.
> >
> >In the future we need to be excrucitaingly clear when a release is what
> >we want everyone to download and show their friends, or is it a release
> >for developers so people making cool GNOME apps can say 'this requires
> >gnome-libs 0.34alpha and gtk-1.1.8'.
> >
> >I think we should act quickly to handle this PR problem.
> >
> >Dr Mike

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.org/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above