Re: Menu items with icons

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 02:01:43 AM -0500, John R Sheets wrote:
> Well, the current idea behind the foot menu is that it would hold
> operations that work on an application-level scope.  Things like Exit,
> About, and Preferences (assuming application-level preferences).  Those
> are the only commonly-agreed-upon items.  Other proposals have included
> moving Help there (countered by the argument that Help should always be a
> very obvious top-level menu item).

Umm... if it holds app-level items, then why a desktop-suite level icon?
Wouldn't using the icon of the app make more sense?  (Except that the WM
might want that for it's app-level menu, like the Win95 WM.)  How about the
string "Application"?

> The most prevalent reasoning behind the foot menu has been 1) good GNOME
> branding, through the foot icon (with a configurable option to change it
> to straight text, "GNOME", or "Program", or something like that), and
I don't like the concept of "GNOME branding".  I think that users shouldn't
be forced to think about weather or not their apps are GNOME apps.

	-=- James Mastros
--
A basement-GNOME (http://www.gnome.org/) with PIP (IETF group) and WINE
(http://www.winehq.com/).  Not really as impressive as it might sound, or as