Re: Something about the menus in the Panel...

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Nelson Minar wrote:

> >An alternative way of implementing the same feature would be to let the
> >user right-click on the menu-entry instead. That way it wouln't be
> >necessary for the extra entry in the submenus, and it would look nicer
> >(no button :)). However, that wouldn't be really intuitive either.
>
> I think this is a reasonable binding. In general, I think Win95's
> button semantics are quite good. "Left click to use something in the
> default way, right click to do something more complicated with it".

Point of contention: This is an OS/2'ism.  Right click to view methods;
double left click to peform default method.

> (It does beg the question - what does the middle button do? I dunno.)

The only problem with making extensive use of the middle mouse button is
the the fact that the majority of mice do not have one in the consumer PC
world.  I hate to see its use go away (even though it purportedly makes
things more confusing) but the alternative - clicking both buttons - can
be a rather difficult motion, and if there's a delay the user wonders what
button was actually pushed.

fyi & $0.02

--
Christopher Curtis               - http://www.ee.fit.edu/users/ccurtis
Florida Institute of Technology  - System Administrator, Programmer