Re: Something about the menus in the Panel...

>I wanted to say that the panel in GNOME is really nice.

I like it a lot too. Nice work, folks!

>I think the button after each entry in the menu, and the extra entry
>(or is it called item?) with the accompanied button in each submenu,
>is a total waste of space. Moreover, it isn't very intuitive, and can
>be confusing for a new user. Besides, it's quite ugly to. :)

I have to agree. I was wondering "what are those little dots about?".
I still get confused trying to click (or not to click) on them.

>An alternative way of implementing the same feature would be to let the
>user right-click on the menu-entry instead. That way it wouln't be
>necessary for the extra entry in the submenus, and it would look nicer
>(no button :)). However, that wouldn't be really intuitive either.

I think this is a reasonable binding. In general, I think Win95's
button semantics are quite good. "Left click to use something in the
default way, right click to do something more complicated with it".
I didn't see anything about mouse button bindings in the style guide at
  http://www.gnome.org/devel/sg/
is there a convention? If not, may I suggest this one?

(It does beg the question - what does the middle button do? I dunno.)