Stop posting false information

Mr Chris Knight posted this to Slashdot:

I am very sad to see people post comments without knowing what they
are talking about.

> If any of you have looked at their recent API's and mailing list
> discussion they are rewriting everything, inevitably introducing
> bugs.

This is completely false.  I do not know how did you arrive to this
conclussion, as the gnome-libs module has been pretty much stable for
the past months and no binary compatibility problems have been
introduced recently.

> Gnome has announced that it is basing its inter-process
> integration via OLE2. Hrmmm, not selling out the Linux community, yet
> using a M$ "standard"?

You obviously did not care to read the discussion.  We are modelling
the document model after the OLE2 interfaces.  Do you have any
specific complain about the OLE2 interfaces, or you are just in a
crusade against anything that comes from microsoft?

> (They claim OLE is well-documented, although these "documents" are
> Micro$oft books that are subject to change).

Please, read my posts before posting missinformation.  We can not use
OLE2 as it is, because it is in bound to COM and to the Win32 API.

We, on the other hand are using CORBA and happen to be doing this for
X11/Gtk.

> I certianly like the idea of a consistent desktop for Unix, but Gnome
> applications will not run without Gnome being installed in upcoming versions
> of the software.

Oh?  How is that?  Care to tell us?  Did I miss something important?

Go read the GNOME manifesto in www.gnome.org

> For instance, many API's that could be developed seperate from Gnome
> are being integrated into the gnome API... examples: database access
> routines (they however, have been persuaded to place these in a
> generic package), xml parsing, configuration parsing (M$ ini files
> are now the default Gnome conf files), etc. These have nothing to do
> with a desktop, but are still being included in Gnome.

Facts:
	1. The GNOME db api that someone proposed is not in
	   gnome-libs

	2. The fact that the libraries were done for gnome does not
	   mean that you need all of gnome to use them.  This is free
	   software and you can make it suit your needs.

	3. XML is available as a separate module, not gnome-libs (and
	   even if we put it in gnome-libs, I do not see what is the
	   problem with that.

	4. We are doing more than a desktop.  We are building a
	   complete set of applications for users of free systems.

Now, please stop spreading nonsense.

Miguel.