Re: Wheeled Mouse (eight-way scrolling)

Some uninformed input from a user who recently bought a wheeled mouse
thingy (MouseMan Plus, so I have the thumb button, too).

Every widget that has the potential to scroll should let me bind events
(keys or buttons) to a scroll in the various directions.  I should also be
able to bind a key or button to let me drag-scroll the widget.  I should
also be able to request some sort of relative scrolling where the widget
scrolls proportionally to the distance between the pointer and the
click-point (something like the joystick widget mentioned earlier).

I suppose this is more gtk related; if it's done at the widget level, every
application benefits instantly.  This kind of consistency really is
important; I don't use windows but my users still complain that the wheel
works in some places and not others.

Tied in to this is a desire for application-level speed-bars brought by an
event which I can configure as I wish.  (This is more of a Gnome thing, I
think.)

Yes; the Logitech software has made an impression on me, but under windows
it comes off as something of a hack.  Gnome is in the position to do it
right from the ground up.
--
Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
   System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics