Re: GNOME Database kit

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 03:22:34PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Adam Keys wrote:
>
> > My non-ODBC question is this.  How bindable is C++?  AFAIK, gtk+ is
> > written in C which makes binding other languages like perl or Python
> > relatively simple.  Is C++ this way?  C++ really works so much better
> > AFAIK for this type of abstraction, and I'd like to work from that
> > angle, but I fear that would lock out perl, Python, etc coders.
>
> You can do abstraction in any language - look at the way gtk+'s object
> model works.

The problem with using C++ for the abstraction, is that if you use C++
objects, you basically can't put them in shared libraries without lots
of headaches.

A partial list of things which will break C++ shlibs:
  - changing instance data (removing or adding)
  - changing virtual methods (removing or adding)
  - changing static or final methods or variables

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net