Re: george, transparent panel icons , what happened?

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 05:00:16PM -0700, Robert Soros wrote:
> Hello George, all other gnome hackers and users from around the world,
> welcome to the internet ;-)
>
> George, just curious about something, i dont know if this has been
> addressed or decided upon already, but I thought i should ask just to
> check.  Have you ever considered or is it possible to have the panel
> icons remain transparent while on the gnome-panel ? IMO, the current
> configuration of placing the image inside of a grey box with borders
> makes it look *kludgy*.. i'd prefer a seamless panel, wherein the
> transparent images would remain transparent to the panel background..
> just a thought .. if its a no go, feel free to flame me
>
> btw. I've setup a sample web page showing the difference between the
> current setup and what i'd like to see in the future .. (the pages is
> about 40k in total)... http://soros.ml.org/panel.html

it's been on my personal "wish list" (kind of strange if I'm the one doing
it:) for some time now ... but currently I'd have to change a bunch of
stuff ... most notably, right now there is actually an eventbox and
a button there, so even if I get rid of the button ... there would still
be the eventbox ... I plan to get rid of this later, and then the launchers
and menus and drawers can be either transparent icons or have tiles behind
them ... (both of this is planned but not yet implemented yet)

the tiles will be configurable for an applet type, so that it will be easy
to distinguish a drawer from a menu or a launcher ...

I might have to come up with a widget that acts somewhat like a button but
with "nicer" properties in terms of the panel (e.g. not having it's own
window for one) ...

> p.s. those add buttons look *strange* or out of place in the current
> setup.. although i do like the option and functionality..

they will probably slightly change in the near future ... once I figure out
something that's easy to do and makes for less clutter

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: