george, transparent panel icons , what happened?

Hello George, all other gnome hackers and users from around the world,
welcome to the internet ;-)

George, just curious about something, i dont know if this has been
addressed or decided upon already, but I thought i should ask just to
check.  Have you ever considered or is it possible to have the panel
icons remain transparent while on the gnome-panel ? IMO, the current
configuration of placing the image inside of a grey box with borders
makes it look *kludgy*.. i'd prefer a seamless panel, wherein the
transparent images would remain transparent to the panel background..
just a thought .. if its a no go, feel free to flame me

btw. I've setup a sample web page showing the difference between the
current setup and what i'd like to see in the future .. (the pages is
about 40k in total)... http://soros.ml.org/panel.html

p.s. those add buttons look *strange* or out of place in the current
setup.. although i do like the option and functionality..