Re: Is there any document centred application framework done for Gnome?

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> >   I am asking if such a project as a document centred application
> > frameworl (a la MFC or OWL) is being done for gnome.  If so, I would
> > like to join it and contribute.  If not, it would be a nice thing to
> > think about, wouldn't it?--- provided the MFC bloating and errors are
> > not duplicated, nor the model.

> GnomeLibs serve that purpose.

> >   Is there an Multiple Windows Workplace (MDI) widget in preparation?
> > If so, where can I find it?

> Jaka has been working on this (jaka.mocnik@kiss.uni-lj.si).

I'm not particularly fond of MDI.  It is usable for people who want to
work on one document per application, or one application at a time.  I
prefer to have my window manager keep track of all the windows and
iconify entire applications at once, if and when I ask it to.
(WindowMaker does this.)  I also prefer that my applications are small
or can open windows on multiple screens/displays, but I expect that is
asking a bit too much.

Therefore, I propose a compromise (It starts to get tricky here):

 First: Have applications that use multiple windows map their windows
  to toplevel and adhere to X standards (i.e., set the client leader).

 Second: Have the gnome window manager give the user the choice of
  reparenting all of the windows for a given application inside of
  _one_ window, with appropriate GDI-like decorations.

This way users get GDI iff they want it, it's handled by the window
manager itself, and the whole thing is a cool hack. :)

Comments?

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu