Re: Harmony + GNOME (Was: Re: C++)

>  > that's the problem ... I bet a lot of people who write theme will only
>  > do a gtk theme as that's the main reason to the theme ... doing a harmony
>  > theme port will be secondray .. so I'd guess unless there is a LOT
>  > of harmony apps there is gonna be less themes so a particular theme
>  > will only work on gnome/gtk apps
>
>    Well, firstly we may be able to find a way to use gtk themes through a
>  Harmony 'adapter' theme. Secondly, how many themes are there likely to be?
>  Not a huge number. I'd say you'd probably get the following:
>
>  	Windows
>  	Mac
>  	Nextstep
>  	Motif 1.2
>  	Motif 2.0
>  	Pixmap-based
>
>    We can write Harmony to understand whatever config files are used by the
>  pixmap-based theme, so it's just a matter of duplicating the others
>  (which as a stopgap could be temporarily emulated with pixmap themes in
>  any case). Duplicating a theme someone else has already written isn't
>  heavy work; it could be done within a week for the basic set of widgets I
>  should think.

What seems to be making people want to use a toolkit other than gtk is
that they wish to use C++. I don't think this should be a reason to
change one of gnome's basic goals, which is having a standard look and
feel, and applications working with each other. I think that if we
wanted to use whatever toolkit we wanted there wouldn't be much point
in gnome.

If C++ support for gtk needs to be improved, that is IMO easier and
faster than writing a whole toolkit from scratch and trying to catch
up with gtk's features. Besides, I wouldn't like more libs using
memory to be able to run app with "Gnome complaint" toolkits.

Bit