Re: C++

Quoting Joel Dillon (emily@cornholio.new.ox.ac.uk):
> > it will not equal gnome apps ... and probably wouldn't make it into
> > the official core gnome distro, but it could be considered a gnome
> > app ... it will not have the exact same L&F and will not have certain
>
> 					^ Yes it will. We'll have
> 	pluggable look and feel (like raster's work for gtk) and
> 	one (possibly the default) look and feel could easily be an
> 	exact copy of gtk.

if someone does a theme for gtk it will nto work under harmony unless he
ports it ... so it will not have the exact same look and feel ...

> > features of gtk/gnome apps, but it will cooperate well and basically
>
> 	^ Such as?

first of all it will have to play catch up with gnome for gtk ... so
gnome for harmony will be a little behind, second ... if some feature is
gtk specific it might not be all that easy to do it in harmony .. for
example I was wondering how you could write a panel applet in harmony
... the panel applet has to use gtkplug .. though I guess you could
write a harmony plaug that made gtksocket feel like it was gtkplug there
... I doubt harmony will have 100% the feature set of gnome at any given
time

it still seems like a large code duplication though ... compared to
doing it all as gtk wrappers ... since all of libgnomeui and theme code
and some custom widgets will have to be ported/rewritten for harmony

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: