Re: WM hints again!!!!!!

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Max Watson wrote:

> I will write up an API proposal and post it to this list tomorrow. In
> addition to the four hints George proposes above, I believe three others
> are needed.
> The first would be a hint that the wm sets to announce that it is "GNOME
> aware," similar to the MOTIF_IS_WM wm hint. This can be used by libgnomeui
> to determine whether to use the STICKY hint, or fallback to override
> redirect if the WM_IS_GNOME_AWARE hint is not set, etc.
> The second would be a GNOME_PANEL_PROPERTIES hint that the panel(s) can set
> to let a wm know it's size and position on screen so that the wm can
> (optionally, as all hints are, of course) set aside that space when
> maximizing windows or using smart placement, etc.
> The third hint is another hint for the wm to set. This would be a hint to
> specify which virtual desktop an application resides on. This hint would
> not be needed by applications directly, but would be very useful for
> session-management purposes. Currently all apps restart one desktop, or at
> least they do on my machine running a modified icewm.
>
> If anyone can come up with a standard way to accomplish these things, other
> than a proprietary hint, please let me know. Otherwise I will post an API
> proposal here tomorrow, and get started adding it to libgnomeui. BTW, how
> does one go about getting write access to the CVS?

The next version of icewm will support:
   WIN_WORKSPACE to set the desktop window. Note that application will only
   be on one workspace or sticky (like fvwm,kde,wmaker, but not like CDE which
   allows app to be in more than one)
   WIN_LAYER to set things like desktop, below, normal, ontop, panel, ...
      layers.
   WIN_ICONS to set more than one mask/pixmap for icons.
      - this is an extension of KWM_WIN_ICON which will also be supported
	at least for now (hopefully KWM could switch to WIN_ICONS).
   WIN_FLAGS to set sticky,maximized,hidden,shaded flags.

And on the root window:
   WIN_FEATURES - list of supported WIN_* properties.
   WIN_WORKSPACE - current workspace
   WIN_WORKSPACE_NAMES - names of workspaces.

I'm also thinking of providing a complete window state as one property
that could be saved by session management and then restored. This
would include all hints and would be extensible.

If there are any more suggestions I'd like to hear them. Generally
I'm against using GNOME_* prefixes, because it reduce chance of
other projects adopting the same properties.

I will post exact spec for these properties today.

Mark
... MouseDevice /dev/null
Marko.Macek@snet.fri.uni-lj.si       http://ixtas.fri.uni-lj.si/~markom