Re: Harmony + GNOME (Was: Re: C++)

On Wed, 22 Apr, 1998 at 12:08:12PM -0400, Eric Galluzzo set free these words:
> Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Joel Dillon wrote:
> >
> > > you could use Harmony to write gnome apps as well as KDE ones. Hence my
> > > question here. But since noone's radically objected I guess we'll go ahead
> > > with putting in gtk compatibility and see what people say when we have
> > > more working.
> > Again. Ideally you would be plug and play compatible with the upcoming
> > themes, or you will never catch up. And if themes come, than ALL GNOME
> > apps should change the look&feel of their standard widgets.
>
> Delurking for a bit here....
>
> Andreas has brought up a really good point here which has bothered me for a while
> now.  Why, since theme support is currently being added to both Harmony and GTK,
> can't both toolkits use the same theme format?  Sure, there are slight
> differences in the widgets available in Harmony and GTK, but they're pretty
> small, and in any case, I'm sure a unified theme format could be thought up.  In
> fact, it might be possible to make some sort of generic "theme library" that
> could be used by Harmony and GTK and whoever else wants to use it.  This would
> enable even more X toolkits to achieve a higher level of GNOME compliance.  Maybe
> some Harmony people and some GTK people should get together and try to cooperate
> on this.

Has anyone looked at the OffiX themes support (Is Stefan here?) I looked at
the web page and there seems to be some nice themability.  I don't know how
they're designed though (compile time option, runtime; text file config,
naming conventions, etc)?

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."