Re: Icons of program

 > ->  > Okay, the list mentioned the four distinct ways to handle per-file
 > ->  > info:
 > ->  >
 > ->  > 1) single, big file somewhere in the user's home directory
 > ->  > 2) single, big system-wide file (handled with a daemon)
 > ->  > 3) small files in a separate tree in the user's home directory
 > ->  > 4) small files in the same dir as the files they affect

5) icon information embedded in the file.

+ low inode cost
+ no problems with file manager tools
+ no permissions problems
+ no filesystem dependencies
+ works with standard file transfer protocols
+ works with removable filesystems
+ no centralized administration needed
+ works just fine on a per-user basis.
+ no db to corrupt
------------- (it's a big minus) files which need per-file info must
              embed that information into the file.  Works fine for
              any file format that permits comments.  Loses for all
              others, or or files that don't have a magic number or
              extension.

 > *  we have to accept cp, mv, rm etc. are NOt goign to deal wlll with ANY
 > icon system we use that has any power at all.

Okay, raster, man, either you are wrong, or you feel that my #5 has no
power at all (I'll let you pick).

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson